Monday, January 23, 2012

Motivation 1.23.12

Fire Dance With Me

Donald Miller recently wrote a blog-post, inspired by Viktor Frankl, that asked what would we do differently if this were our second time living 2012. It threw me for a loop at first; we can't know what we'd change, because we haven't done it yet! 

Once I let the idea settle in my brain, I found a way to make it work. Starting with the mindset that I'm re-doing this year makes it a little easier to make changes, because instead of starting from scratch, I *know* that this will be a good year, and I can simply build on what I'm expecting. I don't have to know where I'm going to mess up, I only have to know where I want to succeed. And there are many things I want to do well this year.

One of the things that I'm doing differently is housework; instead of spending so much time writing lists, stressing out, and then avoiding housework, I'm going to replace those bad habits with simply picking a task and seeing it through to completion. How much frustration will I save? How much work can I actually get done? Even if I only manage to change my habits once a week, I'm sure that I will see a HUGE improvement.

I can't say that I will constantly be seeking areas to do better in, and for sure, I could completely forget about this concept by February 1st. But what harm can there be in trying it today?

This is your motivation for today, and this week. Is there anything you want to do differently? What positive change can you build into this year, that you wouldn't have considered without a second look?

Take the time today to re-evaluate your day, your week, your year, and maybe it will save you some frustration and regret in 2012.

-karey

No comments:

Post a Comment